Features and Application of Various Materials of Membrane Filter
Materials of Membrane Filter
The use of the filter membrane does not require special chemical treatment of flocculation, nor does it require evaporation separation, only needs pressure to separate solid from liquid, which is a major feature of filter membrane treatment.
Common filter membranes are available in various sizes: polyethersulfone (PES) / polytetrafluoroethylene (PTFE) / nylon (Nylon) / mixed cellulose (MCE) / glass fiber membrane (GF) / polyvinylidene fluoride (PVDF) / Cellulose acetate (CA), etc.; pore size ranging from 0.1 μm to 10 μm; diameter13 mm / 25 mm / 33 mm/ 47 mm /90 mm/ 142 mm/ 293 mm.
When we choose a filter membrane, chemical compatibility would be considered first. We will need to check if the filter membrane is acid, alkali, organic solvents, etc. Here, there are 10 commonly used filter membranes:
- PES: hydrophilic, high flow rate, high flux, low protein adsorption, low dissolution, resistance to autoclave.
- CA: hydrophilic, low adsorption, low non-specific binding, thermal stability.
- MCE: hydrophilic, high velocity, the mixture of nitrocellulose and cellulose acetate.
- NC: Hydrophilic, weak acid resistance, high protein binding ability.
- PVDF: Hydrophobicity, high sensitivity, high mechanical strength, low protein adsorption, good heat resistance, and chemical stability.
- PTFE: Solvent and oxidizer with hydrophobicity, wide chemical compatibility, good temperature resistance, strong acid, and alkali resistance,
strong chemical corrosion.
- NY: Hydrophilic, good temperature resistance, high strength, good chemical stability, dilute acid, and alkali resistance.
- PP: Acid and alkali resistance, wear resistance, impact resistance, uniform distribution of micropores, large filter area, good permeability.
- PCTE: Hydrophilic, good chemical stability, thermal stability, absolute pore size, translucent thin film, low protein adsorption, low extraction
- PETE: Hydrophilic, with good chemical stability, thermal stability, absolute pore size, translucent thin film, low protein adsorption, low
extraction, better solvent resistance than PCTE, and more suitable for filtering corrosive liquid.
Application of Membrane Filter
The filter membrane is widely used for food and beverage, medical and pharmaceutical, municipal water treatment, high purity water for industrial use, boiler water replenishment, seawater desalination, ultra-pure water for electronic industry, wastewater treatment and reuse, material concentration and purification and other aspects.
Industrially, the membrane can be used for dairy products manufacturing, semiconductor manufacturing, food manufacturing, paper manufacturing, and pharmaceutical manufacturing, which generally adopt ultrafiltration membranes and microfiltration membranes.
More extensively, the filter membrane is used for household ultrafiltration purifiers, with the advantages of low pressure, large water yield, and easy operation. It can remove macromolecules, colloids, proteins, and particles in the solution.
Use of Ultrafiltration in Waste Water Treatment
Ultrafiltration has good removal characteristics for all kinds of colloids in water, so it can be extended to condensate water refining treatment and ion exchange desalination system pretreatment.
Use of Ultrafiltration Membrane in the Preparation of Wine Raw Water
The ultrafiltration membrane module is applied in the micro-beer production workshop, and through testing the treatment performance of the membrane device, it is shown that the ultrafiltration membrane can effectively reduce the concentration of various pollutants in the water and eliminate the secondary pollution caused by the pipe network, which can completely meet the requirements of high-quality raw water required by the wine production process.